The Light House is a non-profit located in Southeastern Connecticut specializing in disabilities services and support. Joining The Light House means joining a team of staff that continually searches for creative and alternative methods towards the common goal of success for each individual that we work with. The Light House offers opportunities for ongoing training, hands on experience, and collaboration that makes our organization a vibrant and engaging place to work.
The Light House is seeking a Part Time Equine Operations Assistant and Instructor responsible to design and deliver safe, educational, and meaningful horseback riding lessons to students ages 5+, along with providing support to the Equine Operations Manager assisting with overall barn management.
This is a part time (15-20 hours per week) hourly position, but could have the potential to become a full time opportunity in the future. Equine Operations Assistant works under the guidance of the Operations Director and Director to ensure that lesson programs fit the needs of the clients served as well as PATH standards.
Must be able to demonstrate competence in the following areas:
- Appropriately matching equines to fit the needs and skill levels of riders.
- Developing curricula to expand horsemanship knowledge for clients.
- Ensure a safe environment for volunteers, clients, and staff.
- Provides direct services to clients that meets PATH standards (if qualified).
- Provides constructive feedback to management regarding the well-being of the herd, teaching methods, and other related affairs.
Equine Operations Assistant
- Ensure equine husbandry is preformed and up to standards
- Prepare feed, AM/PM feeding, supplement dosing, medication administration
- Mentor Volunteers
- Distribute medications and supplements to equines according to set dietary and veterinary regimen.
- Safely move equines between paddocks on the farm at the instruction of supervisors.
- Take and document equine vital signs as needed.
- Blanket and apply topical fly/tick spray to equines
- Report concerning equine behavior or facility upkeep needs to the Equine Operations Manager immediately.
- Ensure all gates are locked and facility is safe for equines before departure.
- Associates Degree in a related field or 2 years related experience and/or training, or a combination of education or experience.
- Minimum of one year’s experience in equine management or animal husbandry.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in teaching and/or horseback riding instruction.
- Working knowledge and experience with individuals with disabilities
- Certificates preferred: PATH Intl. Certification, First Aid/CPR, PMT
The Light House is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Light House does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational need.
For more information or to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.