increase your program's offerings through
Reading Reins is a Literacy and Equine Learning Program developed by Kate McCormick in partnership with High Hopes Therapeutic Riding, Inc.
Reading Reins is a great way to increase your facility’s program offerings through additional unmounted services to school groups, young learners, and other literacy-based organizations!
Reading Reins is designed to allow any therapeutic riding professional, regardless of their background in literacy, to collaborate with school systems and emerging readers to teach reading skills in a logical, skills-based progression.
- Research-based equine literacy curriculum developed by Kate McCormick a Special Education Teacher, Literacy Coach, and Therapeutic Riding Instructor.
- It can be utilized with students aged 3+.
- Fully inclusive curriculum: Includes all lesson plans, materials, lesson objectives, and extensions/supports.
- It can be used for an individual participant or can be run in small to large groups.
- Follows the nationwide reading skill progression through the included scope and sequence of lessons.
- It can be utilized independently of a school’s reading curriculum or in conjunction with an already tailored reading curriculum.
About the Author
Kate McCormick is both a registered PATH Intl. therapeutic riding instructor and a certified Pre K-12 Special Education classroom teacher. After receiving both her Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Special Education, Kate taught literacy to struggling readers for over a decade across various grade levels throughout the United States. Kate’s love of working with people with disabilities and her life-long passion of riding horses eventually drew her to the world of therapeutic riding.
Kate is thrilled to collaborate with High Hopes Therapeutic Riding to develop Reading Reins, a reading curriculum designed to assist emerging readers on their path to reading fluency through fun and motivating equine-assisted activities.
About the Program
By utilizing the Scope and Sequence reference page, any professional can work with a classroom teacher to identify appropriate lessons for their students or can easily follow the given progression of the curriculum to enhance skills taught at home and in the classroom environment.
Each lesson is presented in the same format providing professionals with an easy reference to identify learning outcomes, materials, and helpful strategies for various learners.
- Each lesson provides the instructor with a list of basic materials needed for the day.
- The literacy-based materials are located in the back of the book and the barn-based materials should be easy to find around your barn.
- The supplemental reading books mentioned throughout the curriculum are picture books identified to support reading skills while focusing on the horse. They can easily be obtained through any bookstore (or online), or you can substitute your favorite picture book in any lesson.
- The “pocket saddle pad” which is referenced frequently throughout the curriculum can easily be made with instructions provided in the back of the curriculum.
$75 per book, including shipping.
Shipping to mainland USA by USPS overland mail is included in the price. If you need your package shipped to an overseas location, or by a faster method, please email Sarah Miller to get a shipping quote BEFORE you place your order.
Order and Pay here