Speech and Language Supports for Participants with Autism
Did you know there are actually TWO different ways children learn language?
PATH Intl. CEUs: 1.5 DE
Presented By: Amanda Vellali, M.S., CCC-SLP Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist
This presentation will explore echolalia (and how to respond), gestalt language processing (how most children with autism learn language), the importance of regulation, and ways we can adjust our own language to support connection, engagement, and understanding for participants with autism.
- Two different ways children develop language
- What is echolalia and how do I respond?
- Language is not “verbal behavior”
- The language staircase
- Why regulation is necessary for communication
- Augmentative and alternative communication
- Strategies to support language