- This event has passed.
The Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning workshop is a three-day workshop which provides specialized training for equestrians who are interested in conducting equine-facilitated mental health and/or equine-assisted learning programs. This workshop is not designed to train educators or mental health professionals how to perform their role in equine-facilitated psychotherapy or equine-assisted learning sessions, nor is it designed to teach equine handling skills. Attendees should come with these skills already in place or a plan to obtain them following the workshop. The workshop does not include practice leading equines through the horsemanship skills test course.
- PATH Intl. approved CEU’s = 2 ESMHL CR; 6 DE; 12 CE
This workshop will be taught by some of the most experienced people in the field of equine-facilitated mental health and learning and will give the participants a chance to see what is current in the field. Each course will be team taught by an equine professional in collaboration with a mental health professional working with several equines. The workshop is a requirement of the ESMHL certification. Horsemanship Skills Test: The skills test is held on day 4 following the ESMHL workshop.
( PLEASE NOTE THIS WORKSHOP NORMALLY FILLS QUICKLY)
FOCUS OF TRAINING:
- The specific role of the equine specialist when assisting or collaborating with human service providers
- Design safe, mutually beneficial and effective activities to enhance participant outcomes
- Determining specific equine handling methods
- Understanding students with mental health and/or learning issues
- Assessing the equine’s response to student behaviors and needs
- To help prepare qualified participants to complete the PATH Intl. Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning Certification
TRAINING IS DESIGNED FOR:
- Individuals 21 years of age and older with a high school diploma or GED
- Equine professionals
- Therapeutic riding instructors looking to collaborate with mental health and education professionals to incorporate equine-facilitated mental health and/or equine-assisted learning sessions into center programing
- Those who wish to enhance their ability to work with mental health and education professionals and their clients
PREREQUISITES for registration:
- Equine handling skills comparable to those described in the PATH Intl. Certified Therapeutic Riding Instructor criteria, Pony Club C or CHA Level 1
- Familiarity with PATH Intl. Standards and code of ethics
PREREQUISITES prior to attending in person workshop and skills test
- PATH Intl. Professional Level Membership
- Submission of ESMHL Application to PATH Intl.
- Complete PATH Intl. Standards Course and Exam
- Complete PATH Intl. EFHMA History Video
High Hopes has 50 years of demonstrated success in the field of Equine Assisted Services & nonprofit management:
- Program, equine, and facility management.
- Business and volunteer management, marketing fundraising, & board development.
- Workshops, certifications, and professional development in all aspects of Equine Assisted Services.
- PATH Intl. Premier Accredited Center since 1979.
- PATH Intl. Training Curriculum since 1996.
- PATH Intl. Master, Advanced and Specialty Certified mentors.
- Full service indoor and outdoor facility, extensive sensory trails
- Dedicated air-conditioned classroom, library and kitchen facility.